Reports are necessary in all companies and organizations. A effective organization should know what is the true meaning of report and try to avoid useless reports.
There are five most important meanings of a report:
1. Managers collect data to know the situation of business running.
2. Recognize data changes in reports. Changes are related with historical strategies, market trending, etc, which help manager to make new decisions.
3. Extraordinary data, which always hide a risk or an opportunity.
4. Problems and asking helps. Problem is required to be report to manager, meanwhile one or two possible solution should come with problems. So that manager can not how to help you and your team to resolve the problem but not compliant you as a problem maker.
Some ineffective reports come with evident characters,
1. No audience. Sometimes manager ask a report for curiousness. But after a few times the manager lost interesting on that and ignore data every time. When a report has no audience, we should stop to report it , or only extract data changes and extraordinary data and report a short summery.
2. No feedback.